Features request

All announcements, questions and issues related to the TsiLang Components Suite.
CPS

Features request

Post by CPS »

It would be nice to have the following features:

Dictionary Manager
* A dictionary name in the main window title. Now it's empty.
* Lock (disable editing) for specific language so translator could not change a basic language item by mistake.
One may erroneously start typing in the English cell that must be intact.

SIL Editor
* Resizable component name column width. Now it has a fixed width defined with a longest component name.

* Add an option to export untranslated items only.
* Have a filter to hide and don't export the entries that do not need translation: numbers, separators, special symbols

* Allow exclude from translation a group of selected rows
Now they must be excluded on-by-one and

* In addition to Search/Find functions in both Dictionary Manager and SIL Editor have filtering to content.
For example, display (and export) only the entries containing a word "Draconic".

IMO an option name "Force empty items" must be reworded to something like "Add/Include empty/untranslated items".
I was wondering why I cannot add untranslated entries from SIL to Dictionary and only occasionally found this option.
isiticov
Site Admin

Re: Features request

Post by isiticov »

Hello,
Many thanks for your ideas and reports. Please find below our replies:
1. As you can see below there is file name in the window's title. May be you have modified the SIB file of Dictionary Manager and delete or modified a string the corresponds the window's title?
Screenshot 2023-10-23 081112.png
Screenshot 2023-10-23 081112.png (82.98 KiB) Viewed 149734 times
2. Just go to Tools | Languages | Fixed:
Screenshot 2023-10-23 081448.png
Screenshot 2023-10-23 081448.png (90.99 KiB) Viewed 149734 times
Next points are related to the Translations Editor not the SIL Editor.
3. We will see how we can make the adjustable column's width for the component names.
4. I'm sorry, but I don't see any sense in exporting the untranslated items only. Could you please elaborate what usefulness this will provide? Taking in account that loading of that partially exported translations later will remove existing translations.
5. We'll see what can be done with "numbers-only" items.
6. We'll try to find a way to exclude multiple selected rows.
7. We'll see how to implement the filtering.
8. We'll try to give a better naming for the "Force empties..."
Thank you again for all you ideas.
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.
CPS

Post by CPS »

Sorry, I didn't think a word "fixed" means read-only language in the program.
For me it is rather associated with something that was corrected, repaired, restored, etc.

As to exporting of untranslated items, I need that to create a dictionary of the components that yet not been translated.
Then I send this dictionary with English only items to a translator and she returns me the dictionary with empty cells filled out and I merged her dictionary to my master dictionary for the whole project.

Then I take a next application form that is partially translated, create a new dictionary for the form with untranslated items only, send that to translator and so on.

Now I export all items from the form to a new dictionary, sort that by items in language to be translated so empty cells are in the top and remove the rest.
It would be perfect to have some kind of the filter that excludes the fields consist only of single letters, separators and numbers, the entries does not require translation.

If I create a new empty dictionary, a form already does not have a title.
The title does not appear even if I save and reopen the dictionary.
My OS is Windows 10 version 21H1 build 19043.2364.
May be you have modified the SIB file of Dictionary Manager and delete or modified a string the corresponds the window's title?
I don't see any *.SIB file of Dictionary Manager, *.DIC only. Where is this SIB file usually located?
I'm speaking about title missing in Dictionary Manager not in Translation Editor.

For some reason when I click a Dictionary button in Translation Editor it launches Dictionary Manager 4.4 that has no title.
If I run DM 4.8 directly, a title is there. Now it's problem how force TE to start DM 4.8.
Maybe some association manipulation in Windows Registry editor needed?

BTW, there is no Save option in Translation Editor, just Save & Close. It's impossible to save editing results without closing the app.
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

CPS wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:59 pm Sorry, I didn't think a word "fixed" means read-only language in the program.
For me it is rather associated with something that was corrected, repaired, restored, etc.
Sorry, will try to improve that wording.
CPS wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:59 pm As to exporting of untranslated items, I need that to create a dictionary of the components that yet not been translated.
Then I send this dictionary with English only items to a translator and she returns me the dictionary with empty cells filled out and I merged her dictionary to my master dictionary for the whole project.

Then I take a next application form that is partially translated, create a new dictionary for the form with untranslated items only, send that to translator and so on.

Now I export all items from the form to a new dictionary, sort that by items in language to be translated so empty cells are in the top and remove the rest.
It would be perfect to have some kind of the filter that excludes the fields consist only of single letters, separators and numbers, the entries does not require translation.
I see now, under exporting you mean adding to the dictionary. Will try to find a way to implement this.
CPS wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:59 pm For some reason when I click a Dictionary button in Translation Editor it launches Dictionary Manager 4.4 that has no title.
If I run DM 4.8 directly, a title is there. Now it's problem how force TE to start DM 4.8.
Maybe some association manipulation in Windows Registry editor needed?
It looks like you have 2 versions of the Dictionary Manager installed on your PC and the oldest version is registered as COM server for interaction. Try to remove older version and use only the newest.
CPS wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:59 pm BTW, there is no Save option in Translation Editor, just Save & Close. It's impossible to save editing results without closing the app.
Translation Editor is not an application but component editor displayed as a dialog window. Clicking Save & Close is equivalent of clicking OK in dialog. Then the changes are saved to the actual DFM.
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.
CPS

Post by CPS »

Thanks for the advice
Indeed, I've found "C:\Program Files (x86)\SiComponents\TsiLang\Dictionary Manager\dicmngr.exe" in the windows registry and it is 4.4 version. I have replaced the file with 4.8 and now a DM 3.3 displays and I love that interface :D

May I use that?
BTW, a third DM toolbar button option - "Small" - would be nice.
IMO, a "normal" size is too big and attracts too much user attention.

There is another instance is registered in different location E:\KWS.40\VCL\TsiLang\Dictionary Manager\dicmngr.exe and it is 3.3.
I have also replaced it with 4.8 and now everything is correct.

Thank you for the excellent customer support.
Does a $134 renewal price apply to my original order?
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

Yes, as registered customer you can renew your account for free download of new version just for the renewal price (US$ 149.00 in your case, as $134 is the price for orders with auto-renewal subscription).
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.
CPS

Later Dictionary Manager is not compatible with earlier VCL

Post by CPS »

I have to go back to DM 4.4 version because 4.8 is not compatible with my previously installed TsiLang library version and does not translate with "Invalid parameters number" error.
Last edited by CPS on Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
CPS

Count words/letters in Dictionary Manager

Post by CPS »

Is there a way to count how many words/letters in a Dictionary Manager for specific language?
It is Statistics in the Translation Editor but I couldn't find it in DM.
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

Unfortunately, there is no such feature in the Dictionary Manager. We will try to add it.
As a workaround you can export the dictionary to MS Word and there delete all other languages and then get the stats.
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

CPS wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:05 am
* Add an option to export untranslated items only.
2023-11-17_11-47-32.png
2023-11-17_11-47-32.png (54.09 KiB) Viewed 149318 times
Just apply the necessary filter on the Options tab and then just use Add All from the Dictionary group. This will add only the displayed entries.
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.