Simple merge oddity...

All announcements, questions and issues related to the TsiLang Components Suite.
dragonstar

Simple merge oddity...

Post by dragonstar »

This should be simple, but I some guidance.

I have an app and a .sil file with some translations that aren't in form X's TsiLang component.

I've added 2 new items to a TComboBox.

I've used Tools --> TsiLang Expert and exported the app tsi lang object values to a new .sil file.

Got the newest version of the Sil Editor.

Open my exported .sil and I see my new combo box entries in the multilines section.

Select Merge and the .sil with the language translations - the goal is a file that has the translations AND the 2 new combox box entries in place as untranslated items.

But no matter what Merge dialog screen options I select - the resulting file has the translations from the existing file but the 2 new combo box items have been discarded.

What am I missing? How do I do the merge scenarion as described above where I get the translations from the existing file and the new combo box items from the file I exported from the app?

Thanks in advance for help...

drc :)
isiticov
Site Admin

Re: Simple merge oddity...

Post by isiticov »

Hello,

1. Open your SIL file with combobox entries.
2. Click Merge and select your SIL file with translations.
3. Enable "Skip superfluous entries" option to skip entries that were deleted in the actual version of the software.
After finishing translations should be merged into the opened SIL file with combobox entries.
If this doesn't work just send use both SIL files and we will test on our side.
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.
dragonstar

Post by dragonstar »

I did all of that already.

And it's not the case of entries deleted in the software, it's the case where new entries were added.

It you don't have an additional suggestion for handling new entries in the combo box in the software, I'll have to check with management whether I can release the files to you or not.

isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

You can always try to reproduce the case on some simple sample file and send the files to us. There is no special need for the actual file if you can reproduce the case on some sample file.
P.S. When you merge into the file which already contains the new entries they can't be deleted from there. The point is to merge into the newer file not into the older one.
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.
dragonstar

Post by dragonstar »

I've tried merging in both directions.

In the primary case we lose the new combo box entries, in the other we lost the existing translations.

isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

Please reproduce the case on simple files and send them to us. I'm sure there is some misunderstanding.
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.
dragonstar

Post by dragonstar »

Files attached in a .zip file.

The file "3 Lines With Translations.sil" has 3 lines from a combo box each one has a translation entry for German - consider this the "existing" file.

The other file "5 Lines With No Translations" is the "new" file from the application which has 2 additional lines in the combo box but no translations for any of the lines.

I want to end up with a .sil file which has the 5 combo box lines from the "new" file the first 3 of which have the translations from the "existing" file and lines 4 and 5 have a blank for the translations.

Using the Sil Editor (version 6.6.25.148), if I open the "new" file and then select the "existing" file to merge into it, the result is 3 lines with translations - the 2 new combo box entries are discarded.

Attachments
Sil Files.zip
(1.02 KiB) Downloaded 763 times
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

Hello,

1. Open "5 Lines With No Translations.sil":
2023-04-12_08-35-06.png
2023-04-12_08-35-06.png (42.28 KiB) Viewed 30262 times

2. File | Merge and select "3 Lines With Translations.sil" and select German language to merge:
2023-04-12_08-37-22.png
2023-04-12_08-37-22.png (33.21 KiB) Viewed 30262 times

3. Step 2 of the Merge Wizard:
2023-04-12_08-38-14.png
2023-04-12_08-38-14.png (23.82 KiB) Viewed 30262 times

4. Enable "Skip superfluous entries" option on the next step.

5. After Wizard finishes German translations merged into the newer file and you have 5 lines in combo in English:
2023-04-12_08-40-13.png
2023-04-12_08-40-13.png (40.15 KiB) Viewed 30262 times

Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.
dragonstar

Post by dragonstar »

Sorry for the delay, we're also trying to get a build done and tested to release next week.

Yes your example does help and takes care of the simple case.

In a larger scenario we might have up to 8 or 9 languages

Would we have to process one language, save those results to a new .sil, then re-open that as the existing one and merge in the next language - having to repeat all the steps language by language to make sure we don't lose any new entries in any multiline objects items lists?

isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

Hello,
The point is just that you shall not merge the "base" (default) language. The one that is updated under IDE. Just select in the Merge Wizard all other languages to merge and your base language will still hold the actual data and other languages will be merged.
Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.
dragonstar

Post by dragonstar »

Figured that out a bit later on my own after I expanded my small test to include multiple languages with a few simple fake translations.

THANK YOU!