Is it possible to translate everything ?

All announcements, questions and issues related to the TsiLang Components Suite.
laurent

Is it possible to translate everything ?

Post by laurent »

hello

I am a newbie in Delphi and I am testing different solution to internationalize a project that will start in the next weeks. I downloaded the demo of your software last week to compare it with other solutions that I found.

I think that your solution fits our needs. But I have some questions to close my tests:
1/ Is there a way to translate all the system messages like for example : "Invalid filename", "Out of memory", "Cannot make a visible window modal" ... In other solutions it is possible so I want to know if I can do it with yours.
2/ Is there a way to translate all the information of a windows dialog ? I know that, for example with an open dialog, I can translate the caption of the different elements. But I want to know if I can translate the hint of the different butons of the dialog (example: create a new folder).
I used sDialogs but didn't find a way to do it.
3/ Is there a way you to translate the hint of the three butons that are in the window bar (close minimize, maximize) and the pop-up menu that appears when you click on the icon of the window bar. In the test I made, these texts were in the language used by the os.
4/ I read in the documentation that the translations can be associated with the exe file but can also be found in external files. I understood that we can simply add or modify translation by adding or modifying a file of the application. Am I right ? If i am, can you explain to me how to use externall files to stock the translation because I did not find a way to do it ?

Thanks in advance

Laurent
gaivans

Post by gaivans »

Hello,

1) Yes, it is possible. That strings are stored as resourcestrings in your application. And if some of them to be translated in your application you need set the property "HandleResourceStrings = True" of corresponding TsiLang components as well to add required strings to translation data with "Resource Strings Wizard" from the siLang Expert.

2,3) The hints for system menu items or window buttons (close/minimize/restore) are system-wide and "issued" by the operating system, so your application cannot translate them. All other visual elements of common dialogs are translated in the siDialogs components.

4) You are right. There are two ways to store translation data: internally in the .dfm/.xfm files and externally in the .sil/.sib files. The first way provides the better performance but the second one is more flexible, that is you or your end user can change the translations without recompiling the application. To link you application with external .sil/.sib file make the following:
a) Add to all the application forms TsiLangRT components.
b) Lanch the TsiLang Expert and click the menu "File|Save/Load Translations...|Save project...' and then specify a file name.
c) Open that file file in the SIL Editor and enter the translations.
d) Link all project's TsiLangRT comnponents with the above file. You can do it either its "StorageFile" property or via a TsiLangDispatcher's property "FileName".

Well, these are brief answers so you recommend you download our User's Guide from http://www.sicomponents.com/soft/siManual.pdf which contains much more useful information.
Best regards,
Serghei Gaivan
laurent

Post by laurent »

Hello,

I found why I couldn't use an external translation file. The "Load on create' property was set to false. I set it to true and it works perfectly.

Thank you very much for your help and your quick answer.

I have now all the information I need and I think that your solution will be chosen.

Laurent.