Merging of dfm files with different translation data

All announcements, questions and issues related to the TsiLang Components Suite.
sammyskim

Merging of dfm files with different translation data

Post by sammyskim »

Hello,

I have the following problem. I have two files from the same base file, say file A and file AA. In file A I did some new translation and in file AA I developed some new features. When I now try to reintegrate / merge file A into file AA with Subversion, the translation data of file AA gets messed up.
I am not able to do an automated merge. I have to ignore the messed up translation data from file AA and copy the translation data block manually from A to AA and commit the changes.

My question now: Is there some best practices or another way to circumvent this situation?
The main problem is, that the translation data is not readable.
Can the storage of the translation data in the *.dfm files be turned off?

Thanks for your help.
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

Hello,

The easiest way would be to save translation to external files and then merge them with SIL Editor. If you want to use the version controls merging then save to SIL (textual) file. And later load back to DFM after merging.
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

isiticov wrote:And later load back to DFM after merging.
Please note: you would need to perform this every time after merging if you store translations inside EXE(DFM).
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.
sammyskim

Post by sammyskim »

isiticov wrote:Hello,

The easiest way would be to save translation to external files and then merge them with SIL Editor. If you want to use the version controls merging then save to SIL (textual) file. And later load back to DFM after merging.
That is what I am doing now. Export both versions of the project into a SIL file and merge it. After that I import the SIL file. But it is not very comfortable.
isiticov wrote:Please note: you would need to perform this every time after merging if you store translations inside EXE(DFM).
Is there a way to not store the translations into the EXE(DFM)? I did not find a switch to do that. If that would be possible I would only use SIL file.
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

There is no such switch currently. We will check how this could be improved.
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.