.RC file seems to always be saved in unicode format

All announcements, questions and issues related to the Resource Builder
TallBob

.RC file seems to always be saved in unicode format

Post by TallBob »

I need to save my .rc file in ordinary ASCII, not UNICODE. I am using File->Save as to store it.

On Save-as I can see the default option of "Unicode Resource Scripts (*.rc, *.drc)" and "Resource Scripts (*.rc, *.drc)". I am choosing the second one (without Unicode) but the .rc file that is created (in either case) is UNICODE.

How do I save an non-unicode .rc file?

Newbie user with registered software,
bob
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

Hello,

It looks like a small bug there with this. If you open (or create and save) Unicode RC file first then all next savings will be in Unicode as well. If you open (or create and save) ANSI RC file then next savings will be in ANSI format.
Sorry for this.
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.
TallBob

Post by TallBob »

Yes, that did in fact work. I can work with this, but you should fix "File->Save as" too.

One other thing: I don't know how you handle this, but if I were to try to "File->Save as" a .rc as ANSI that in fact contains Unicode I would expect the program to point this out to me and give me several choices:

1) Save as UNICODE instead.
2) Save as ANSI but drop the Unicode characters.
3) Save as ANSI but try to convert the Unicode to ANSI.
4) Cancel the save.

For option 3 it would try to find a reasonable match. For example to use "e" instead of "e`" The point here is to try to be flexible and allow some sort of conversion "downward" giving several different (destructive) options.

Thank you,

bob